Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Beach

Right now, I want to catch some sun on a beach. A beach that's on an island. In the Pacific. There's no one else on that island except me and a native 18-year-old Lomilomi masseuse also specialized in grill cooking and fresh fruit cocktails. Also fishing. A single story hut and a huge hammock are the only man-made accommodations on the island. There's music playing in the background and it is good music that, strangely, I've never heard before in my life. It's precisely the kind of music I wanted to listen to. I think I want the water to be deep blue and I also want a four meters tall waterfall somewhere on the island. There are lots of small wild animals, but most importantly there are birds. Lots and lots of strange and vividly painted birds that sing each one in their own magically delicate language. For a moment I wish I was the Noam Chomsky of birds. I would've liked to know what each and every one of them told to the others and how exactly they did it, but not today. Today they are musical instruments, organic and with a mind of their own.

Thor, my five years old dogue de Bordeaux, sits near the hammock enjoying the shade and struggling to crack open a coconut. I've never tried to feed him coconuts before, of course, but my instincts tell me he's the right guy for the job.There are also two cats. One is a Norwegian Forest Cat, the other a Blue Russian. I think I'll name them Tom and Jerry, since they are chasing each other all day long anyway. I don't think I remember ever seeing a cat playing on a beach, but today I am. They look clumsy.

I spend my days eating fruits and grilled fish - half of them being of species unknown yet to modern science - sunbathing and swimming in the ocean. Then there's the massage, the waterfall showers, playing with the cats, playing with Thor, listening to the birds, more swimming and more sunbathing. There are no TV sets, no radio, no internet, no newspapers. I've grown a full beard and I only brought with me one t-shirt that I'm not wearing at all. I'm constantly switching between L'Île mystérieuse and Lord of the Flies. A story of grown men written for the children and a story of children written for grown men. I wonder if it might have been the same island.

It's night now and I fall asleep in my hammock along with the two cats sitting hugging to my left. I quickly lose consciousness and I start wondering trough the island's forest. It is early morning in this dream, and I walk along a trail I don't remember existing before. Some thirty yards away I notice a tall fat man walking towards me.  He looks happy, even radiant, having this huge smile on his face. I can't tell what his age is for some strange reason, he could be anywhere between twenty and eighty years old, but I have a feeling he is the kind of man you could have a wonderful conversation with . We meet in the middle of the trail and I see the two cats rubbing their heads against him with affection. I don't know what to say now, but before things could get awkward he asks in the warmest voice possible: "Do you like ... pie?"

1 comment:

  1. Agora, eu quero apanhar algum sol em uma praia. Uma praia que está em uma ilha. No Pacífico. Não há mais ninguém na ilha, exceto eu e um nativo de 18-year-old massagista Lomilomi também especializado em cozinha churrasqueira e cocktails de frutas frescas. Também pesca. A única história cabana e uma rede ampla são as acomodações só homem na ilha. Há música tocando no fundo e é uma boa música que, curiosamente, nunca ouvi falar antes em minha vida. É precisamente o tipo de música que eu queria ouvir. Eu acho que quero ser a água de um azul profundo e eu também quero uma altura de quatro metros de cachoeira em algum lugar da ilha. Há lotes de pequenos animais selvagens, mas o mais importante não são os pássaros. Lotes e lotes de aves estranhas e vividamente pintado que cantam cada um na sua própria língua magicamente delicada. Por um instante eu queria ser o Noam Chomsky de aves. Eu teria gostado de saber o que cada um deles disse aos outros e exatamente como eles fizeram isso, mas não hoje. Hoje eles são instrumentos musicais, orgânicos e com uma mente do seus próprios.

    Thor dogue, meus cinco anos, de Bordeaux, senta-se perto da rede desfrutando da sombra e lutando para se abrir um coco. Eu nunca tentei alimentá-lo antes de coco, naturalmente, mas meu instinto me diz que ele é o cara certo para o job.There também são dois gatos. Um deles é um gato norueguês da floresta, o outro um russo azul. Acho que vou nomeá-los Tom e Jerry, uma vez que eles estão perseguindo uns aos outros durante todo o dia de qualquer maneira. Eu não acho que eu lembro de ver um gato brincando na praia, mas hoje eu sou. Olham desajeitado.

    Passei meus dias comendo frutas e peixe grelhado - metade dos quais de espécies ainda desconhecidas para a ciência moderna - apanhar sol e nadar no oceano. Então há a massagem, os chuveiros de cachoeira, brincar com os gatos, brincando com Thor, ouvir os pássaros, mais de natação e mais banhos de sol. Não existem aparelhos de televisão, sem rádio, sem internet, sem jornais. Eu cresci barba cheia, e eu só me trouxe com uma t-shirt que eu não estou usando em tudo. Estou constantemente alternar entre L'Île Mysterieuse e O Senhor das Moscas. Uma história de homens adultos por escrito para as crianças e uma história de crianças escrito para homens adultos. Gostaria de saber se poderia ter sido a mesma ilha.

    É noite agora e eu durmo na minha rede, juntamente com os dois gatos sentado abraçando a minha esquerda. Eu rapidamente perder a consciência e eu começo a pensar através da floresta da ilha. É de manhã, no início deste sonho, e eu a pé por uma trilha que eu não me lembro que existia antes. Cerca de trinta metros de distância noto um homem alto, gordo andando em minha direção. Ele parece feliz, radiante mesmo, tendo este enorme sorriso no rosto. Eu não posso dizer o que sua idade é por alguma estranha razão, ele poderia estar em qualquer lugar entre vinte e oitenta anos, mas tenho a sensação de que ele é o tipo de homem você poderia ter uma conversa maravilhosa com. Nós nos encontramos no meio da pista e vejo os dois gatos esfregar a cabeça contra ele com carinho. Eu não sei o que dizer agora, mas antes as coisas podem ficar difíceis, ele pergunta em voz mais quente possível: "Você gosta de pizza ...?

    ReplyDelete